This week I will be going through a bunch of ideas and suggestions that will help your studying time, learning ability and a few other common or not so common ways to enhance your English ...
1. Review. I know it’s boring, but it’s absolutely essential to language learning. Don’t bother to learn new words if you aren’t going to review. It’s a waste of time if you aren’t committed to reviewing your material.
2. Listen. The more you listen, the more you’ll remember.
3. Use your new vocabulary or lose it! Concentrate on a few new words each day and try to use them in different sentences. Take a few extra minutes at the end of your lesson (or study-time) to write a couple of sentences to help you remember the vocabulary you used and learned. Use new vocabulary in conversation and writing ~ the more you use it, the easier it is to remember.
4. Record yourself in English and repeat, repeat, repeat. Don’t just record your English class but record a song or use an interesting podcast to challenge yourself. Keep repeating it until you can repeat it at the same speed as the native speaker. The more you repeat, the more fluent you will sound. You don’t realise how many mistakes you make until you listen to a recording of yourself.
5. Read, read, read. Read something you will enjoy. Books, magazines and newspapers aren’t your only source for reading. English is everywhere. Learn a song or poem. Try a menu, a recipe or learn some funny jokes.
6. Read aloud. There’s no better way to practice and it will help you pick out mistakes.
7. Flashcards. They really do work! Make flashcards for eight to ten new vocabulary words once a week. Tape them to your wall and practice making a new sentence with them each day.
8. Recycle your vocabulary. Review, review, review! Don’t assume you’ve learned it after you think you’ve perfected it. Practice makes perfect.
9. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes - we all do -> I DO! Be confident. People can only correct your mistakes when they hear you make them.
10. Practise every day. Make yourself a study plan. Decide how much time a week you are going to spend studying and stick to it. Establish a routine.
See #11 ~ #20 tomorrow ...
- Related Entries